Sunday, January 11, 2009

Challenge blogs

Challenge blogs are a great way to get your mojo flowing. I've pointed you towards the ScrapJack challenge blog before, and the sketch site Inspired Blueprints.
Yesterday while staying indoors and keeping warm, I stumbled across another challenge blog and decided to play along. The blog is Dreamgirls and their first challenge of 2009 is to create a layout using the word "NEW" in the title or journaling. And layout must be Black and White. And handmade embellishment being the only additional color.

I don't usually scrap black and white photos because I feel we live in the twenty-first century and we have the technology to produce colour photos so we should take advantage of it. Black and white photos can look very artsy on a layout, but I scrap mostly to preserve the memories. And colours are often a big part of those memories. Who doesn't remember the colour of a favourite outfit or toy from their childhood?
This challenge didn't specify that the photo had to be B&W, but I decided to make it so just to give my colourful embellishments more impact. So I guess this layout is more about the artsy then the memories. LOL
The polkadot paper is Doodlebug. For my handmade embellishment I layered gold vellum circles on black paper. Added a red circle with some rub-on stitch corners I've had forever and a white button in the center. All the edges are crumpled and distressed.

And I finally got around to playing with my new Revolution. It's only been sitting on the floor of my scraproom for six weeks now :) I used the 12" swirly die to cut the lacey piece under my photo. Love it!

If you know any fun challenge blogs leave a comment with a link so we can check it out.

No comments: