Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christmas Cards

It's that time of year. In fact you're late if you're sending those cards overseas.
I just started on my cards last weekend. And because I spent a day ~ maybe it was a couple(few) days ;) cleaning out my scraproom and organizing all my paper shelves, I decided I was going to use up some of my stash... Though I may have to drop into the store for some cardstock ~ I'm running low on Xmas red and green.
This is the design I decided on for this year.


For my card I used...
Brown cardstock (cs) for the base.
Green for matting.
Scraps of red for the embellishments.
3 coordinating patterned papers
4 brads
Letter stickers (or die cut letters) for 'JOY'

I started off by cutting my brown cardstock base 8.5" x 5.5" (that's an 11 x 8.5 piece of cardstock cut in half). I scored my card down the middle and folded it so it now measures 4.25" x 5.5".
I cut a piece of green cardstock 4" x 5.25".
And a piece of Xmas patterned paper 3.75" x 5". Then I used my large hole punch to cut out half circles from my corners (practice on scrap first to get the hang of getting them even). I mounted the patterned paper on the green cardstock and attached a red brad in each corner. Then adhered it to the front of my card base.
For the decorative strip I cut a piece of coordinating patterned paper 5/8" x 3.75". Matted it on coordinating (brown)cardstock 7/8" x 4". I cut a strip of red cardstock 2.25" x 4" and used my Fiskars 'threading water' scallop punch along the top and bottom edges.
I just love my Fiskars 'threading water' scallop punch.
I bought it a few months ago and have used it on numerous layouts as well as my Christmas cards this year. It's bigger and therefore a bit more expensive than other punches I have ( around $20), but well worth the money. I have used it tonnes and still love seeing those pretty scallops on my pages :)
Back to my instructions...
I adhered the matted strip to the center of my scalloped red cardstock and adhered that to my card.
For the square embellishment I cut a piece of coordinating patterned paper 1" x 1", matted it with a piece of green cs 1.25" x 1.25" and adhered it to my strip, off center.
Then I used my Quickutz to diecut the word 'Joy'. If you don't have a Quickutz or other die cutter put it on your wish list for this Christmas. I would have had to buy untold packages of stickers to get all the 'J's, 'o's and 'y's for all my cards.

If you have a Xyron sticker machine (the little one's are cheap ~ $20) run your letters through and then center and stick to your square embellishment. If you don't have a Xyron sticker machine be very sparing with the glue bottle. Or better yet, go to Unforgettable Memories and get yourself a Xyron sticker machine before you start on your cards ;)

There's nothing like a homemade Christmas card to make friends and family feel special.

No comments: